Thursday, January 3, 2013

No New Years Resolutions...And a VERY Useful Book Reccomendation

So  this year I have no resolutions.  I just don't.  My plan is to live by my one little word; BALANCE.  Living by this word didn't start as of January 1...as many of you know I started about a week ago.  I've been reflecting on a lot of things, talking with Erik.  We are really examining our life and our goals.

Enter this new book I'm reading...


If you are an overwhelmed mom who thinks your home could use more help from the kiddos, this book is for you.  I heard about it from The Coffee Shop Blog.  Her post really spoke to me and made so. much. sense.  For some reason, I've felt like I needed to do everything around here....control issues anyone?  Anyhow, I've realized that I can't do it alone.  It only makes me upset, angry, and overwhelmed.  It just became so much easier to do things myself than argue with the kids to do it, or listen to their fighting about who got what out.

I also really think it leads to a future of entitlement.  If we think our kids deserve everything in the world and provide everything for them, then they expect that.  Then guess what, surprise...you're an adult and you don't get everything you want.  I think that's why we as Americans live out of budget, buy things to compete with everyone else.  I have always told my children that hard work pays off; that you have to work hard to get the things in life that you want.  I just don't think I've actually showed them how to be accountable and to appreciate things.  

Here are some of the quotes from the book that really made sense to me.

"Kids must do for the world and family; they must give to the world and family."

"TR (Theodore Roosevelt) would climb out of his grave, metaphorical big stick in hand and all thoughts of speaking softly abandoned, if he knew what we have done to this country that he and so many other determined leaders worked diligently to shape."

"When I catch myself muttering under my breath, "I told them to pick this up" and then proceeding not only to pick up pajamas, towels, and shoes but also to organize their closet while I am it, I'm solidifying my children's expectation that someone will always be around to do their work for them."

"I believe in you, and I'm going to prove it by putting you to work"

There are so many more quotes.  I'll let you read them for yourselves.  Really good book, and really enlightening.  I am so using the jar idea.

Have a good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails