Wednesday, April 3, 2013

So going to hear flack for this...

So, today I was catching up on my blog reading.  I ran across a post about Mom's on iPhones that apparently went viral.  The basic gist of the post is that a mother was too busy messing with her iPhone to pay attention to her little girl dancing and her son being disappointed when saying "watch me" to which she barely responded.  The whole point was to take time to pay attention to your kids because moments are fleeting.  I get that.  I do.  I also thought that post was absolutely, way judgmental. How does one know that this was the only time the mother had a minute to herself?  You don't.  You can pass judgement so easily as an outside observer.

I really resented the post.  Why?  I love my children.  I do.  I think they are the best, brightest, most entertaining children.  Just like many of you who have children.  I resent the fact that an outside observer might see me on my phone at a park and judge me for "missing out."  You see, I am responsible for my children 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  My husband works a complete opposite schedule from our lives.  Yes, I work.  I'm a teacher.  However, my children accompany me to school.   They are at my workplace.  I have to deal with the "Wolfie doesn't say hi to me" from the counselor."  Jojo making me late because he won't get out of the damn car!  Maddie and his "inappropriateness" which I take no responsibility for...I don't know where he gets it from.  I hear about them ALL the time, good and bad.  I see them walking the halls.  I get emails from teachers.  Each and every day they are in my room after school misplacing my post it notes and dry erase markers.  When I get home, there is fighting, yelling, and "Mom, I'm hungry..can I have.....(insert food)"

On the weekends, I am on my own.  Erik works.  That leaves me in charge once again of everything.  I make breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.  I get up early if kids are loud, sick, or want mom.  I read, write, and pay attention every day of their lives.  I help them with homework.  I see them at school.  I am absolutely involved and supportive of their education.

I am there when they say, "Watch me."  Oh, how I hear it, ALL THE TIME.  So I guess my general message is please don't feel guilty for using your phone, checking email, or visiting Facebook.  All that matters is:  Are you present in your children's lives?  Do they know you love them more than anything in the world?  Do you help them with homework?  Are you supportive of their goals?  Are you instilling your most important beliefs to them?  If you are, then you're not doing too bad...iPhone use and all.

...Stay at home mom's note....please if you are a stay at home mom know that you are absolutely AWESOME.  People wish to look down on you for no apparent reason.  I feel you have the hardest job in the world, one that I could not do.  If you spend most of your time with your children, then I will trust you can monitor yourself on your iPhone.

That is all (insert salute).

1 comment:

  1. That was awesome---I understand this and I am not even a parent!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails