Thursday, October 4, 2012

Back to Reality...and Fall Gardening

Erik and I enjoyed three days of solitude and quiet.  His parents took the kids camping at the lake.  My dad took them to launch rockets at the spaceport.  During that time, we did pretty much nothing.  We watched Monday Night Football at Buffalo Wild Wings.  Tuesday, we ran a few errands and planted our fall garden.  Tuesday evening we went for happy hour with some friends.  Wednesday we watched The Campaign with Will Ferrell.  It was pretty funny.  I laughed and laughed and laughed.  Will Ferrell comedy is so up my alley.  Then we rented 21 Jump Street and The Avengers...taking a break to watch the Presidential Debate.  The boys got home this morning at 7:30 a.m.  Rolf, called and said, "It's back to reality for you guys."  And so it is.  But I did have a restful three days.

So, I took a few pics of my garden.  This is our first attempt at having a year round garden.  We planted onions by seed, brussels sprouts..gag, carrots, celery, spinach, and lettuce.

 Celery, lettuce, spinach

 Brussels sprouts, amongst the Asparagus.  Asparagus is a two year crop.  
Carrots

This summer, I learned a few things...
  • plant more okra than 6 plants.  It took forever for us to get enough for one meal.  Next spring, we'll plant at least double if not triple that amount.
  • plant more black beans.  If we decide to.  we only got a few pods this year.  Not even enough for a meal in fact.  
  • build a large trellis for the Campari tomatoes...if we decide to grow them again.  They didn't start producing until late in the summer and the tomatoes are very small.  I'm not sure it's worth it.  
  • plant pumpkins earlier...we ended up tearing them out because there was not way they would produce anything before we needed them.
I am really hoping all goes well with this garden.  I am truly looking forward to my fresh spinach again.  It tastes so good, and it saves us quite a bit of money at the store.  We eat it with almost every meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails