- Organization Style: What is your style? I am a piler. I make piles of papers, things, etc. It is easier for me to pile like things together and sort through it when I need to. So how does this apply to my craft room? Well, I bought tons of glass jars a few years ago. I put buttons in them sorted by color. I put ribbon or chipboard embellishments in them. That has worked really well for me. Papers...I "pile" it together by color in Cropper Hopper Paper Holders. I also keep my scrapbooking kits in them as well. I use drawers. I have a drawer for stamps, they are thrown in there, but I know where they are. I have all my inks thrown in a drawer. Again, this system has worked well for me. It looks neat and tidy on the outside, while sort of a messy pile on the inside It doesn't bother me in the least. As long as I know where my things are and it looks neat to the outsider.
- Counter Space: I am a space hog. I always have been. I am a tiny little person, but I take up so much space. So, as I'm cleaning out my craft room right now, I had to think about this. I have a craft table I bought years ago, that I love. I use it for most of my crafting. I also sold my Cricut Machine. I loved it, but it took up a lot of space in my small area of counter space. I am getting my Silhouette, which will go near my computer and free up space that I need for crafting.
- Purging Supplies: I am getting rid of tons of stuff. If I haven't used it in a few years, it's gone. That means stickers, ribbons, eyelets, albums, etc. It's gone. It has to be. That includes scrapbooking kits or remnants of them. I also have a corner of my office where I have random stuff...such as baking pans I was going to use for a project. It's obviously not going to happen after the three years I've had them, so bon voyage.
- Kid's Stuff: On this issue I go back and forth all the time. At this time, I've flat out made the decision that this space is mine. Kids crafts are out. I have a space in the kitchen near the table I can use for their supplies. Right now, this space will be mine. That may seem selfish, but that's just too bad. My craft room is my space and my office. I have things in here that I use for my business. It is not a pleasure to come in and find toys, Cheez-its, other food items, crayons and markers, and other kid junk, or my stamps ruined. Sorry kids, you're out.
- Art: I want to have a beautiful space where I feel inspired. As much as I love Lance Armstrong and Dale Earnhardt Sr. I'm going to take their pictures out of my office and come up with something new.
- Functionality: My space consists of a craft room, office, and photography storage area. That's a lot of purposes for a small room. So I need to come up with a way to make all of this work for me. Large plastic tubs are going to store my photography supplies in the garage. I think that will free up a lot of space for my craft items.
Those are just a few things to think of. As I go along, I will share my progress. As I purge, I will also be boxing up items and maybe giving them away to a lucky blog reader. There will be a lot of nice stuff, so lets see.