Monday, November 25, 2013

Real Food Update

So this last week was a bad one for us.  We sort of fell off the wagon for a few days.  There were several reasons for this.  First, JoJo snuck into the kitchen and ate most of the ingredients for school lunches.  We also went out to eat on Wednesday.  I didn't feel like cooking.  It was the first time that we have gone out to eat as a family since I don't know when.  We never go out.  Thursday, we also ate out.  It was Erik's birthday so we went to Texas Roadhouse.  Friday, I didn't have the list ready for Erik so  didn't go to the store.  I didn't want to go that evening, so we stayed in an ordered pizza.

One of Erik's birthday gifts

Erik and I have been talking about our failure this week.  He says he can feel a huge difference when he doesn't eat according to our real food diet.  I should also mention he had training this week and ate out.  He even went to Taco Bell and Burger King!  I admit, I was slightly jealous about the Taco Bell visit.

Saturday, I ran to the store to get a few things for dinner and such.  We made  Broccoli cheese soup in the Vitamix.  It was interesting to say the least, but the kids gagged ate it all.  It wasn't that good, I'm not going to lie.  I was proud of Wolfie for eating it and not being disrespectful like has been in the past.  After that wonderful meal, I made homemade ice cream for everyone as their reward.  I keep saying how impressed with the kids being on board with the change, but I'm just shocked.  When we ordered pizza on Friday, Maddie said, "This isn't real food. Aren't we supposed to be eating real food?"

So over the last few weeks, these are the things I'm figuring out.  We won't be cutting sugar completely out of our diet.  I will start buying raw, non GMO, sugar.  Just using honey in some things is not cutting it.  I figure if we have sugar in small amounts, it won't kill us.

I'm going to try and shop at our local Toucan Market only.  I will still get milk at Target.  Their Horizon milk is $2 a gallon cheaper there.  Although, if you count gas and time, it's probably not.  Toucan has a huge selection of organic or all natural foods and meats.  I also decided that I will probably shop every couple of days instead of weekly.  I think it will help us to save money and be less wasteful of food we don't get to use during the week.  I don't mind running to Toucan every couple of days.  It's five minutes from my house.  It's a small store with short lines, and the staff is friendly.  I know all of the cashiers and deli people, so it's sort of a small town feel.  I am going to try and make as many homemade foods as possible, but if I'm in a time crunch, I will buy factory made foods.  As long as I can read all of the ingredients on the package and they are all natural. Case in point would be spaghetti sauce, chips, etc.  I'm not giving up chips.  These are my favorite chips.

I also love Nut Thins.  These are my favorite.  The kids love them too.
So, there you have it for the last week.  We are still on board with this thing.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails