Sunday, November 17, 2013

Because I deserve it!

My office is a fiasco.  I'm serious.  I am in the midst of photo editing, science fair projecting, sewing, children crafting mess, sick kids, and laundry washing.  So I deserve a break to make a little blog post.  Don't you think?  I do.


So, first off, let's start with the Real Food.  We've been doing very well, I would say.  Did we eat out last Saturday?  Yes.  Did the kids and I go to Chickfil A on Monday with my dad?  Yes.  Did I eat Nachos Grande on Friday at school?  Yes.  However, those are the only days Erik and I have eaten anything other than Real Food.  I am now dubbing it RF because I'm tired of typing the words out.  Ha.  Making a list for Week 2 was, for some reason, extremely difficult.  Even with the 100 Days of RF meal plans.  It was just unbearable.  I made a tiny list and Erik went shopping.  It got us through the week.  Last night, I went to Toucan, our local market, and picked up some stuff.  It was sort of spur of the moment stuff.  I'm finding that eating only RF is a fine line of extreme organization and chaos.  I have no problem with planning my meals weekly and shopping accordingly but for some reason, I'm finding it difficult with RF.  A lot of the recipes on 100 Days of RF require a lot of prep time.  I don't have hours upon hours to make meals.  I'm NOT saying there is anything wrong with her recipes at all. It just takes a lot of planning.  The other challenge...the organized part is the school lunches.  It takes a lot of time to prepare them and plan them out.  For example, Thursday night, it took me an hour to make egg salad and pack everything.

For dinners, I think the easiest thing is to go back to what we did before, make the foods we made before for dinner but modify them so we can make sure they are more healthy for us.  We did this, this past week.  I used my Grandmother's pizza recipe.  It's been a favorite of mine forever.  We used all real ingredients.  Erik made us pizza sauce during his day off so we could use that instead of store bought pizza sauce.  That was a two hour process.  See what I mean about the time?

 Maddie preparing the pizza.  That's the pizza sauce in the bag.
The first week of the RF diet, I think I had a carbohydrate crash.  I felt terrible for the first few days.  I also realized that I need Carbs.  I have to have them.  My metabolism is very fast, and I have to fuel my body with them.  So, I've tried to modify that accordingly and I've felt much better.  Erik feels much better as well.  He's also lost three inches in his waist since we started.

We've had great difficulty finding only organic fruits and vegetables.  I've been to three stores and haven't been able to purchase only organic fruits and vegetables.  I guess that's the challenge of a smaller city.  We have, however, only allowed foods into our home with a small number of ingredients, or with ingredients we can read.  Maddie went with me to Toucan last night and he wanted pickles.  I didn't let him get them because they had artificial coloring in them.  I also couldn't find any with All Natural Ingredients.  He seemed to accept it.  That brings about the fact that I can't believe how on board the kids are.  There has been very little complaining on their part and they've eaten all of the meals.  They seem to be excited about it.  The other night on the way home from catechism, JoJo was eating Cheetos he got from his class.  I think they were Cheetos.  I never saw the bag.  Wolfie said, "I don't even know why he's eating them anyways because they were made in a factory."

I do have to say that if the Zombie Apocalypse occurs, we will be screwed.  We have no foods with preservatives in our house.  At least not enough to sustain us.  That's the only thing sustaining the people on The Walking Dead.  Of course, this is a joke.  Please don't expect to see me on Doomsday Preppers. Ha.  I do think that it would have been easier to start this journey in the summer when we had a garden.  Now, I know how to plan our garden more appropriately to fit our needs.  That's a plus.  Anyways, I've got to get back to editing photos.  This post has taken longer than five minutes.  Happy Sunday!


2 comments:

  1. Do canned tomatoes not count as real foods? I could see an argument either way depending on how the tomatoes are canned (there are some who say only eat jarred tomatoes because cans can have BPA in them). Anyway, I have a great 30-minute pasta sauce that doubles as a pizza sauce if you cook it down for an additional 15 minutes. It requires a can of crushed tomatoes. I usually make it in large batches and then freeze what we need in 1-pizza increments so we can have it on weeknights.

    This is my favorite pickled onions recipe and it uses all fresh ingredients (not sure if vinegar is on the RF list or not). It's super quick and I bet you could try other vegetables in this brine such as sliced cucumbers or cauliflower - http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-quickpickled-red-onions-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193247

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Nat! I will email you for the recipe for the sauce.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails